Lewis Hamilton is proof that your dreams can become a reality. In addition to winning Formula One’s World Championship for a record-equalling seventh time, he’s topped the Powerlist 2021.
The list honors the most powerful people of African, African Caribbean, and African American heritage in the UK. This year, there’s been a special focus on two of the biggest themes of 2020 – coronavirus and racial injustice.
The independent judging panel looked at people who have the “ability to change lives and alter events, as demonstrated over a protracted period of time and in a positive manner“. Certainly, we cant argue that Lewis Hamilton Fits the bill.
Being the only black driver Formula 1, consequently, he has been very vocal in support of the Black Lives Matter movement. Back in June, he encouraged his fellow F1 drivers to take a knee before races. In addition, he has launched The Hamilton Commission. The goal: to increase the number of black people in motor racing.
After grabbing the top spot on the list, he said: “I am so proud to be acknowledged, especially within the black community“. Lewis Hamilton continued; “I like to think that I’m just a part of a chain of many people trying to push for change“.
Here’s the Full List;
- Lewis Hamilton – F1 Driver.
- Professor Kevin Fenton – Regional Director of Public Health England (PHE).
- Stormzy – Rapper.
- Michaela Coel – Writer, Actor & Director.
- Edward Enninful OBE – Editor-In-Chief of British Vogue.
- Dame Donna Kinnair – Head of the Royal College of Nursing.
- Jacqueline McKenzie – Lawyer.
- David Olusoga OBE – Historian and writer.
- Afua Hirsch – Journalist and broadcaster.
- Richard Iferenta – Vice-Chair of KPMG.